Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Stolen from the Archives!

Searching through my archived nature and landscape prints, I stumbled upon this shot of two hummingbirds I got last summer. It was a funny story actually - first you have to understand that I absolutely LOVE birds.

Okay, with that being said, I tried everything at the beginning of the season last year to attract hummingbirds. My husband and I even put on red shirts and sat outside under the feeders. I had ONE hummer. That's when the fun began. One turned to two, two to four, etc...and hummingbirds are VERY territorial. They stand guard at a perch near the feeder and dive-bomb any other hummingbirds that come to steal a drink. At the end of the summer, all of the hummers that had made a home close to my feeders had nested and multiplied - we counted over twenty hummers at our feeders at one time!

This shot is actually TWO juvenile male hummingbirds (you can see one red feather on the neck of the bird facing the camera), spreading their tail feathers and defending the feeder. I have to admit, it took me ALL summer long to get this shot - but it was so worth it :-)

No comments: